Frequently Asked Questions
How do I opt out of the Kinesiology student levy?
- You must complete the application form available in Rm. 2225 3M Centre no later than September 30.
Under what circumstances would I meet with a Kinesiology Academic Counsellor?
- When you need a final approval from the Kinesiology Academic Counsellor on your paper Add/Drop, on a Special Permission form, or Letter of Permission form.
- When you require academic accommodation because of medical or compassionate grounds for a missed final examination or require extensions at the end of the year.
- When you have been placed on probation by the School of Kinesiology and need course approval and mid-term consultation.
- When you are a transfer student with advanced standing credits.
- When you have been Readmitted after being Required to Withdraw.
- When you have concerns about your program requirements for graduation.
You should consult the Academic Counsellor especially about any academic concerns, including the following:
- Academic advice, course selection; planning for future direction course changes, withdrawals, special permissions progression requirements and mandatory withdrawal requests for academic accommodation for major illnesses or other problems that would affect your attendance and performance in courses requests for special examinations or extensions on term-work requests for Letters of Permission to attend other universities appeal procedures interpretation of Senate regulations
- Graduation problems
Contact the School of Kinesiology for Hours of "Walk In" Counselling times and one-on-one sessions: 519-661-3086
Under what circumstances would I consult with my professor?
- When you have specific questions about the course you are taking.
Under what circumstances would I meet with a department academic advisor in another program?
- When you require approval to add or drop a non Kinesiology course during the Add/Drop period.
- When you have questions concerning a specific course or the additional module/program you are registered in.
- iii) When you require special permission for a course substitution offered by the relevant department or you would like to register for a course without the prerequisite.
I am arranging travel plans during the examination period and need to know when my examinations will take place. Can you let me know when my examinations are scheduled?
- The examination period is listed in the calendar and on the Registrar’s Office website. Students are not to make travel arrangements during the posted time period for December and April. During any of the examination periods [term tests, mid-terms or finals], students are required to be available to write their examinations unless they have valid medical or compassionate grounds. Preliminary schedules for December examinations are posted mid-October and the final schedule is posted mid-November. For the April examinations, the preliminary schedule is posted early December and the final schedule is posted mid-February. It is strongly recommended that students wait until their final examinations are posted prior to making any flight arrangements.
I have received special permission to take a course but have realized that I am not registered in the course. I thought once the special permission had been approved, the course would be added to my timetable. Can you please let me know what I need to do to ensure the course is added to my academic record?
- Although special permissions are approved by the Kinesiology Academic Counsellor, in most cases, you contact the Registrar’s Office Helpline (519-661-2100) to notify a Customer Service Representative that the permission is on your academic record and then you will be added to the course. If you haven’t done this during the online or extended online registration period, you have to add the course in person (see Add/Drop procedures).
Can I get into a course that is already full during the On Line registration period?
- Students are given a false "course is full" message if they do not have the prerequisite or if they are not in the priority access category(ies). Check that this is not the reason you are being told the course is full. Some courses, however, have reached capacity. Counsellors cannot approve requests to override the enrolment constraint.
- If your course choice is actually full please note that students are able to make multiple changes to their timetables throughout the registration period June to August.
- Enrollment numbers, therefore, change continually throughout the summer.Students are encouraged to check regularly and often to determine if spaces become available in their course choices. There is considerable movement in enrollment numbers near the end of the registration period. Further registration changes are permitted during the Extended Online Registration August-September [check sessional dates] and, again during the "paper" Add/Drop period In September and January.
- Waiting lists may be available during the "paper" Add/Drop period in September - check with Kinesiology for Kinesiology/Dance courses and the individual departments for respective courses.
What are the course requirements for my degree program?
I want to enter a module but don’t have the prerequisite 020 level courses? Can I take the required course and module courses concurrently?
- Priority is given to those students who have completed the stated prerequisites. Students who declare the program without the stated prerequisites and are made an offer to transfer to the Kinesiology program will be required to incorporate all outstanding prerequisites in the year of transfer along with some selected senior Kinesiology courses.
Other Modules: Students will have to check with the respective Department
- Registration in the module will be postponed until the following year once the 020 level course has been completed. In some cases, yes. Check the courses listed in the module. Some 200-level and 100-level courses do not have any prerequisites, in which case module courses and the 020 level course may be taken concurrently.
How can I confirm that my Intent to Register form was processed and I have been placed in the program I requested?
I want to switch my program after completing an Intent to Register form earlier. How can I do this?
To switch programs offered within Kinesiology:
- Contact the Kinesiology Academic Counsellor at 519-661-3086.
To switch to a new Faculty/program:
- Make the request to the faculty offering the program.
- Example: If requesting a Social Science degree program, check to ensure you have the appropriate course and mark requirements to be placed in the program. If you are eligible for the requested program, fax the Social Science Counselling office (519-661-3384) your written request including your name, student number, contact information (phone number or email address), program you wish to be changed to, and sign at the bottom of the letter.
Once I have requested a change in my program, how do I check to see if the change has been processed?
- If you go into MyUWO, under academic record, you will be able to see the program you are registered in for September.
I want to register for a course but I don’t have the prerequisite. What can I do?
- You must request Special Permission from the department offering the course. In some cases, exceptions are made. Some departments do not consider permission between June 1 and September 1. For Kinesiology courses contact the Academic Counsellor. For Dance courses contact the instructor.
How can I get permission to take a course overload?
I would like to take a course at an affiliate college. What do I need to do?
How do I appeal a final grade in a course?
- You must make your appeal to the instructor of the course first. The deadline to appeal April/May final grades is June 30, 2005. View website.
What do I do if my academic record indicates that I am "Required to Withdraw" but I experienced serious medical or compassionate circumstances that have affected my academic studies and I want to return to Western?
- You do have the right to appeal the decision by filling out a Progression Waiver application and supplying the relevant documentation.
Where do I find the current Academic Calendar and/or Registration Handbook and Lecture Timetable?
If I am not a student in the School of Kinesiology can I take any Kinesiology/Dance courses?
- Dance courses become accessible to all students during the June-September registration period if spaces are available. Students should refer to the ‘notes’ listed against each course in the Registration Handbook for more specific details.Kinesiology activity courses [designated as Q.R.S.T.] are open only to students registered in the School of Kinesiology.
- Kinesiology [non activity based] courses may be open during the September Add/Drop period pending availability and constraints.
How can I make an appointment with a Kinesiology Academic Counsellor?
- Call the School of Kinesiology Undergraduate Office at 519-661-3086. Ask about our ‘walk-in’ times as well as one-on-one appointments.
- School of Kinesiology Academic Counselling Room 2225 3M Centre