Don Morrow, PhD
School of Kinesiology
Room 4163, Thames Hall
- PhD (Alberta)
- BA Hons, MA (Western University)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Health promotion; specifically motivational interviewing/coaching as an intervention for health issues such as weight management, physical inactivity
- Sport history; particularly the impact of narrative method/s
- Sport literature
- Sport, exercise, health, medicine and the body in Western culture
- Alternative/complementary health and medicine
- North American Society for Sport History
- Sport Literature Association
- International Coach Federation
- Editor-in-chief for Sport History Review
- International Fellow, American Academy of Kinesiology &
- Research Associate, De Montfort University, United Kingdom
- Canadian Sport History
- Sport Literature
- Sport, Exercise and the Body
- Health Promotion
- Alternative/complementary & integrative health/medicine
- International Fellow in the American Academy of Kinesiology and Physical Education, Lifetime Award
- Edward G Pleva Teaching Award, Western University, 1998
- University Student Council, Scotia Bank Teaching, Alumni Teaching Award, Western University, 1998
- Teacher of the Year, Faculty of Kinesiology, 1995-1996; 1993-1994; 1989-1990
- Chair and Sole Conference Convenor for the 2014 International Hockey Conference, Western University
- Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research & Practice, editorial review board member
- Aethlon: the Journal of Sport Literature, editorial review board member
- Sport History Review, peer-reviewed journal; editor-in-chief
- Morrow D. (2012). Conventional and complementary medicine. In PM Insel, WT Roth, JD Irwin & SM Burke (Eds.). Core Concepts in Health Canadian Edition, Toronto: McGraw-Hill Ryerson, 574-605.
- Wiley E, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2012). Health care practitioners’ perceptions of motivational interviewing training for facilitating behaviour change among patients. Journal of Allied Health, 41(3), 131-139.
- Pearson ES, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2012). The CHANGE Program: Comparing an interactive versus prescriptive obesity intervention on university students’ self-esteem and functional health status. Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being, 4(3), 369-389.
- Morrow D. (2012). His Majesty. Aethlon: The Journal of the Sport Literature, 28(1), 12pp.
- Mantler T, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2012). Motivational interviewing and smoking behaviors: A critical appraisal and literature review of selected cessation initiatives. Psychological Reports, 110(2), 445-460.
- Newnham-Kanas C, Morrow D & Irwin JD. (2012). Certified professional co-active coaches: why they enjoy coaching. International Journal of Evidence-Based Coaching and Mentoring, 10(1), 48-56.
- Newnham-Kanas C, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2011). The utility of motivational interviewing using co-active life coaching skills on adults struggling with obesity; participants’ perspectives. Coaching: An International Journal of Theory, Research & Practice, 4(2), 104-122.
- Wiley E, Morrow D & Irwin JD. (2011). The impact of a one-day applied training in motivational interviewing on health practitioners’ perceived competence, autonomy, efficacy, and attitudes to facilitate behavior change: A pilot study. Journal of Community Medicine & Health Education,1,101, DOI:10.4172/jcmhe.1000101.
- Newnham-Kanas C, Irwin JD, Morrow D & Battram D. (2011). The quantitative assessment of motivational interviewing using co-active life coaching skills as a treatment for adults struggling with obesity. International Coaching Psychology Review, 6(2), 211-225.
- Newnham-Kanas C, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2011). Findings from a global survey of certified professional co-active coaches. International Journal of Evidence-Based Coaching and Mentoring, 9(2), 23-36.
- Pearson ES, Irwin JD & Morrow D. (2011). CHANGE-ing obesity: A methodological account of a comprehensive study for university students with obesity. Canadian Journal of Diabetes, 182-183.