Laura Misener, PhD
School of Kinesiology
Room 2360A, Somerville House
519 661-2111 x86000
- PhD (Alberta)
- MHK (Windsor)
- BHK (McMaster)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Social impacts of sporting events
- Sport and events as tools for increasing sport participation
- Policy analyses and cross-cultural comparative politics of sport and leisure
- Intersections of sport, physical activity, and health promotion
- Sport Management at Western
- North American Society for Sport Management - Member-at Large
- North American Society for Sport Sociology
- European Association for Sport Management
- Leisure Studies Association
- Sport Management
- Faculty of Health Sciences Recognition of Achievement in Teaching - 2012
- Guest Editor Sport Management Review: Managing Disability Sport
- Board Member: International Centre for Olympic Studies
- Taks, M., Misener, L., Chalip, L. & Green, B. C. (2013). Leveraging sport events for participation. Canadian Journal of Social Research, 3(1), 12-23.
- Misener, L., Darcy, S., Legg, D. & Gilbert, K. (2013). Beyond Olympic legacy: Understanding Paralympic legacy through a thematic analysis. Journal of Sport Management, 27, 329-341.
- Misener, L. & Mason, D.S. (2009). Fostering community development through sporting events strategies: An examination of urban regime perceptions. Journal of Sport Management, 23, 770-794.
- Misener L. & Mason, D.S. (2006). Creating community networks: Can sporting events offer meaningful sources of social capital? Managing Leisure, 11(1), 39-56.
- Taks M, Misener L, Chalip L & Green BC. (2013). Leveraging sport events for participation. Canadian Journal of Social Research, 3(1), 12-23.
- Taks M, Misener L, Chalip L & Green BC. (2014). Evaluating sport development outcomes: The case of a medium sized international sport event. European Sport Management Quarterly, 14(3), 213-237, doi: 10.1080/16184742.2014.882370
- Misener L & Darcy S. (2014). Managing disability sport: From athletes with disabilities to inclusive organisational perspectives. Sport Management Review, 17, 1-7, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.smr.2013.12.003
- Misener L. (2014). Review of - Sports governance, development and corporate responsibility, by B. Segaert, M. Theeboom, C. Timmerman, & B. Vanreusel (eds.), New York, Routledge, 2012, 206pp. ISBN: 978-0-415-52249-6. International Journal of Sport Policy and Politics, 6(3), 550-552, doi:10.1080/19406940.2013.839467
- Misener L & Rich K. (2014). Urban Sport in Canada. In K. Gilbert and K. McPherson, (eds.), Urban Sports Development. London, UK: Commonground Publishing.
- Carey M, Misener L & Mason DS. (2014). The Local and Regional Governments’ Perspective. In M. Parent and J.L. Chappelet, (eds.), The Routledge Handbook of Sports Event Management. London: Routledge.