Allyson Dykstra, PhD
School of Communication Sciences and Disorders
Room 2567, Elborn College
519 661-2111 x88940
- PhD (Western University)
- MSc (Western University)
- BSc Honors (Queen's)
Supervising Graduate Students
- Adults with motor speech disorders
- Children, adolescents and adults with resonance disorders
- Emphasis on communicative participation, speech perception and speech intelligibility
- Communicative Participation Lab
- Movement Disorders Clinic, Department of Clinical Neurological Sciences, London Health Sciences Centre
- Velopharyngeal Dysfunction Insufficiency Clinic, London Health Sciences Centre
- Conceptual models of disability - WHO ICF
- Western University, Faculty of Health Sciences – Recognition of Excellence, 2011, 2012, 2013
- Dykstra, A.D., Adams, S.G. & Jog, M. (in press). Examining the relationship between speech intensity and self-rated communicative effectiveness in individuals with Parkinson's disease and hypophonia. Journal of Communication Disorders, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcomdis.2015.06.012
- Dykstra, A.D., Domingo, Y., Adams, S.G. & Jog, M. (in press). Examining speech intelligibility and self-ratings of communicative effectiveness in speakers with oromandibular dystonia receiving botulinum toxin therapy. Canadian Journal of Speech Language Pathology and Audiology.
- Dykstra, A.D. & Adams, S. (2009). Oromandibular dystonia (pp.359-361). In Clinical Management of Sensorimotor Speech Disorders, Second Edition, Malcolm R. McNeil (ed.), New York: Thieme.
- Adams, S. & Dykstra, A.D. (2009). Hypokinetic dysarthria (pp.166-186). In Clinical Management of Sensorimotor Speech Disorders, Second Edition, Malcolm R. McNeil (ed.), New York: Thieme.
- Dykstra, A.D., Hakel, M.E., & Adams, S.G. (2007). Application of the ICF in reduced speech intelligibility in dysarthria. Seminars in Speech and Language, 28(4), 301-311.
- Dykstra, A.D., Adams, S., & Jog, M. (2007). The effect of botulinum toxin type A on speech intelligibility in lingual dystonia. Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, 15(2), 173-186.
- Adams, S., Page (Dykstra), A.D., & Jog, M. (2002). Summary feedback schedules and speech motor learning in PD. Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, 10, 215-220.
- Adams, S. & Page (Dykstra), A.D. (2000). Effects of selected practice and feedback variables on speech motor learning. Journal of Medical Speech-Language Pathology, 8, 215-220.
- Dykstra, A.D. (2014, February). Applying principles of the ICF in the management of PD and other motor speech disorders. Invited speaker at the American Speech-Language Hearing Association’s conference on Neurodegenerative Disorders: maximizing patient outcomes.
- Dykstra AD. (2013). Communicative participation and speech intelligibility: complexities and challenges. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, 55(5), 403-404.
- Dzioba A, Skarakis-Doyle E, Doyle PC, Campbell WN & Dykstra AD. (2013). A comprehensive description of functioning and disability in children with velopharyngeal insufficiency. Journal of Communication Disorders, 46(4), 388-400.