There are two types of financial assistance available to trainees:
- CIHR Strategic Training Fellowships
This training program has a limited amount of fellowship money available to trainees. The amount is based on the Canadian Institute of Health Research guidelines but is specific to the TUTOR-PHC program.
Type of Trainee Amount * Graduate Students $20,000 Post-doctoral Fellow
Health Professional Degree (0-2 yrs post grad experience)
$38,000 Health Professional Degree (2+ yrs. post-grad experience): $48,000
*amount will vary based on a variety of factorsThese fellowships will be distributed based on need (i.e., taking into account other funding source for research work) and availability.Please ensure that you note on your application form if you require funding.
- Travel, accommodation and a per diem for participation in the on-site symposium will be covered for each trainee (and their supervisor) accepted into the program.
Generally, 12 trainees are accepted into the Strategic Training Program TUTOR-PHC:
Of these, approximately 2 are unfunded (travel expenses only) and the remaining 10 are funded at various levels depending on need and their level of career achievement. The number of trainees accepted and the distribution of funds will vary each year depending on the applicant pool.
Health Professional is defined as:
- Audiologist/Speech-language Pathologist
- Dentist/Dental Surgeon
- Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist
- Medical Laboratory Technologist
- Medical Radiation Technologist
- Occupational Therapist
- Registered Nurse
- Registered Psychiatric Nurse
- Respiratory Therapy
- Social Worker
- To be considered eligible for CIHR programs, the health profession must require at least a Bachelor's degree for licensure in Canada and be regulated by provincial legislation.
- The provincial legislation regarding licensing requirements for the above professions will vary from province to province.
- All health professionals in one of the disciplines listed above and licensed to practice in Canada are eligible to be considered for the higher stipend level under the CIHR Fellowships program and when being paid from a CIHR grant.
- You must be currently licensed to receive the ‘health professional’ designation