Office of Faculty Relations

Social Insurance Number

Foreign academics must apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) immediately upon entering Canada.  Failure to obtain a SIN will result in lack of payment of salary, including benefits.  

The application form for a Social Insurance Card must be completed by all applicants.   

Applications can also be obtained in person at the following location:

London Service Canada Centre
457 Richmond St
Mon-Fri 8:30 – 4:00 pm.  

Full information on SINs may be found on the Service Canada Website.


You will need your passport and work permit to apply for your SIN. You will be given a temporary SIN number that will have an expiry date if you are a temporary worker. All 900 series Social Insurance Numbers will only be valid for the length of the employee's work permit, to a maximum of five years, under recent changes to the Employment Insurance Regulations.    

Foreign Nationals must renew SINs upon receiving a new work permit.  Upon receiving permanent residence, all family members will need to apply for a permanent SIN. A valid SIN is required for payroll, benefits  and health insurance.

Please complete the personal information sheet and submit to Human Resources to ensure that your SIN is current on PeopleSoft (the University's information system).