Office of Faculty Relations

Visa Requirements

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)

The Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a new electronic document/screening entry requirement implemented by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for visa-exempt foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air.  Visa exempt foreign nationals are citizens of countries who do not require a temporary resident visa (TRV)  to enter Canada.  Examples include  U.S. Green Card Holders, and citizens of United Kingdom (UK), France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Spain and Sweden.

There are some exceptions:

Individuals are required to make an online application to receive the eTA prior to boarding a flight to Canada.  The authorization is electronically linked to an individual's passport and is valid for five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first.  It is anticipated the eTA will be approved almost immediately after an application is submitted though definitive times for approval are not yet known.  There is a fee of $7.00 for each eTA.

Foreign workers from visa exempt countries who are already in Canada on a valid work permit will require an eTA if they leave and return to Canada via air after March 15, 2016.

For more information about the eTA, please review the following website.

If you are unsure if you are from a visa exempt country, please review the following website.

To make an application for an eTA, please see the following website.