Office of Faculty Relations


The information in the following pages has been prepared as a general guide to assist new, current and visiting faculty members to understand the official documentation required by Citizenship and Immigration Canada to live and work in Canada. The information contained on this website is not a substitute for reviewing the Citizenship and Immigration website. Carefully review all documentation sent to you by the University and information provided by the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. It is the responsibility of each foreign national to review the criteria set by Service Canada and IRCC.


Foreign Academics

All Foreign Nationals who accept a probationary and tenured appointment at Western University must possess a work permit issued by Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) before the start of employment. Learn More


Foreign Academic Visitors

Foreign Nationals who visit The University of Western Ontario as academic visitors are required to obtain the necessary immigration documents to enter Canada, remain in Canada and/or to be paid by Western University and may need to abide by the International Immobility Program (IMP). Learn More

Front Door

Permanent Residence

Foreign Nationals who have been hired into probationary or tenured positions at Western must apply for permanent residency if they plan on staying and living in Canada. Learn more

Canadian Flag

Canadian Citizenship

After becoming a Canadian permanent resident, some individuals may consider applying for Canadian Citizenship. Learn More

Work Permit

Work Permit Renewals

In accordance with Canadian law, all Foreign Nationals employed at Western on a work permit must renew their work permit if their appointment continues past the expiration of the original work permit and if they have not received permanent residence. Learn More