Dr. Greta Bauer
P: (519) 661-2111 ext: 86262
F: (519) 661-3766
Validity issues in observational studies
Methodologic and ethical issues in studying hidden populations
Public health ethics
Aetiology of vertical and horizontal STI transmission
Viral sexually transmitted infections (STIs): HIV-1, HSV-2, HPV
BS Health and Health Care
CURRENT RESEARCH GRANTS
- Improving Quantitative Research Methods in Gender, Sex and Population Health: Theory, Empirical Evidence, and Development of Applications for Multi-dimensionality and Intersectionality (Principal Investigator, CIHR)
- Social Exclusion, Erasure, and the Health of Transgender People: Trans PULSE (Principal Investigator, CIHR)
- Health in Middlesex Men Matters (HiMMM) (Principal Investigator, CIHR)
- Risk and Resilience among Bisexual People in Ontario: A Community-Based Study of Bisexual Mental Health (Co-Investigator, CIHR)
- Linking Molecular and Social Cluster Analyses in HIV Transmission: Phase I Project (Co-Principal Investigator, CIHR)
- Bauer GR, Scheim AI, Deutsch MB, Massarella C. Reported emergency department avoidance, utilization and experiences of transgender persons in Ontario, Canada: Results from a respondent-driven sampling survey. Accepted, Annals of Emergency Medicine.
- Travers R, Pyne J, Bauer GR, Munro L, Hammond R, Giambrone B, Scanlon K. “Community control” in CBPR: Challenges experienced and questions raised from the Trans PULSE Project. In press, Action Research.
- Bauer GR, Pyne J, Francino MC, Hammond R. Suicidality among trans people in Ontario: Implications for social work and social justice / La suicidabilité parmi les personnes trans en Ontario: Implications en travail social et en justice sociale. Revue Service social 2013;59(1):35-62 .
- Rotondi NK, Bauer GR, Scanlon K, Kaay M, Travers R, Travers A. Non-prescribed hormone use and self-performed surgeries: “Do-it-yourself” transitions in Ontario, Canada’s transgender communities. American Journal of Public Health 2013;103(10):1830-1836.
- Bauer GR, Redman N, Bradley K, Scheim A. Sexual health of trans men who are gay, bisexual, or who have sex with men: Results from Ontario, Canada. International Journal of Transgenderism 2013;14:66-74.
- Bauer GR, Brennan DJ. The problem with “behavioral bisexuality”: Assessing sexual orientation in survey research. Journal of Bisexuality 2013;13(2):148-165.
- Baidoobonso S, Bauer GR, Speechley KN, Lawson E. HIV risk perception and distribution of HIV risk among African, Caribbean, and other Black people: Mixed methods results from the BLACCH Study. BMC Public Health 2013;13:184.
- Bauer GR. It’s all in the context: Structural and psychosocial challenges to HIV prevention with transgender women. In: Gahagan J (editor). Women and HIV in Canada. Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press, 2013.
- Bauer GR. Making sure everyone counts: Considerations for inclusion, identification, and analysis of transgender and transsexual participants in health surveys. In: CIHR Institute of Gender and Health. The Gender, Sex and Health Research Casebook: What a Difference Sex and Gender Make. Vancouver: CIHR Institute of Gender and Health, 2012: 59-67.
- Bauer GR, Travers R, Scanlon K, Coleman T. High heterogeneity of HIV-related sexual risk among transgender people in Ontario, Canada: A province-wide respondent-driven sampling survey [Highly accessed article]. BMC Public Health 2012;12:292.
- Bauer GR, Khobzi N, Coleman TA. Herpes simplex virus type-2 seropositivity and relationship status among U.S. adults age 20 to 49: A population-based analysis [highly accessed article]. BMC Infectious Diseases 2010;10:359.
- Bauer GR, Jairam JA, Baidoobonso SM. Sexual health, risk behaviors and substance use in heterosexual-identified women with female sex partners: 2002 U.S. National Survey of Family Growth. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2010 37(9):531-537.
- Bauer GR, Hammond R, Travers R, Kaay M, Hohenadel KM, Boyce M. “I don’t think this is theoretical; this is our lives.” How erasure impacts health care for transgender people. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care 2009;20(5):348-361.
- Bauer GR, Jairam JA. Are lesbians really women who have sex with women (WSW)? Methodological concerns in health research on sexual minority women. Women & Health 2008;48(4):383-408.
- Welles SL, Bauer GR, LaRussa PS, Colgrove RC, Pitt J, for the Women and Infants Transmission Study. Time trends for HIV-1 antiretroviral resistance among antiretroviral-experienced and -naïve pregnant New York City women during 1991 to early 2001. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2007;44(3):329-335
- Bauer GR, Colgrove RC, LaRussa P, Pitt J, Welles SL, for the WITS Study Team. Antiretroviral resistance mutations in viral isolates from HIV-1-transmitting mothers and their infants. AIDS 2006;20:1707-1712.
- Saewyc EM, Bauer GR, Skay C, Bearinger LH, Resnick MD, Reis E, Murphy A. Measuring sexual orientation in adolescent health surveys: Evaluation of eight school-based studies. Journal of Adolescent Health 2004;35(4):345.e1-e15.
- Bauer GR, Welles SL, Colgrove RC, Pitt J, WITS Study Team. Zidovudine resistance phenotype and risk of perinatal HIV-1 transmission in zidovudine monotherapy-treated mothers with moderately advanced disease. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 2003;34(3):312-319.
- Bauer GR, Welles SL. Beyond assumptions of negligible risk: Sexually transmitted diseases and women who have sex with women. American Journal of Public Health 2001;91(8):1282-1286.
Articles in PubMed