Graduate Development and Placement
Graduate Development and Placement
GDP Coordinator and Workshops/Seminars
The Department of English at the University of Western Ontario is committed to providing assistance and guidance to graduate students seeking professionalization and placement. To this end, the Department has a Graduate Development and Placement Coordinator who, in addition to leading seminars and workshops that are intended to develop the professionalism of graduate students, is also available on an individual basis for consultation and advice. The Graduate Development and Placement Coordinator for 2013-2014 is Professor Pauline Wakeham.
The schedule of dates for Fall 2013 workshops and seminars is posted here in PDF format.
The schedule of dates for Winter 2014 workshops and seminars is posted here in PDF format.
All graduate students and graduate alumni are welcome at these sessions. Graduate students are strongly encouraged to attend job search sessions at least one or two years before they anticipate going on the job market.
Graduate Development and Placement Coordinator (GDPC), 2013-14:
Professor Pauline Wakeham
University College 381
Please email Professor Wakeham for an appointment.
Western PhDs have been successful in landing tenure-track positions in Canada, the United States, and beyond. Here's a sampling of placements of recent PhD graduates:
- Caroline (Keri) Lamb, (PhD, 2011), Assistant Professor, Chattanooga State Community College
- Allison Hargreaves (PhD, 2011), Assistant Professor, UBC-Okanagan
- Erica Kelly (PhD, 2010), Professor of English, Lambton College
- Somaya Sabry (PhD 2009), Assistant Professor, Ain Shams University
- Michael Kightley (PhD, 2009), Assistant Professor, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Karis Shearer (PhD, 2008), Assistant Professor, UBC-Okanagan
- Andrew Moore (PhD, 2008), Assistant Professor, St. Thomas University
- Sarah Krotz (PhD, 2008), Assistant Professor, University of Alberta
- Conrad Van Dyk (PhD, 2007), Assistant Professor, Concordia University College of Alberta
- Heather Snell (PhD, 2007), Assistant Professor, University of Winnipeg
- Anderson Araujo (PhD, 2007), Assistant Professor, UBC-Okanagan
- Helene Strauss (PhD, 2006), Professor, University of the Free State (South Africa)
- Kelly McGuire (PhD, 2006), Assistant Professor, Trent University
- Alan Galey (PhD, 2006), Assistant Professor, University of Toronto
- Kofi Campbell (PhD, 2005), Associate Professor, Wilfrid Laurier University
- Brian Wall (PhD, 2005), Assistant Professor, SUNY Binghamton
- Christopher Lockett (PhD, 2005), Associate Professor, Memorial University
- Nathaniel Leach (PhD,2005), Associate Professor, Cape Breton University
- Amy Appleford (PhD, 2005), Assistant Professor, Boston University
- Kimberley Verwaayen (PhD, 2004) Assistant Professor, University of Western Ontario
- Mark Johnston (PhD, 2004), Associate Professor, University of Windsor
- Peter Cumming (PhD, 2003) Associate Professor, York University
- Margaret Toye (PhD, 2003), Associate Professor, Wilfrid Laurier University
Academic Job Postings
- Online sites are updated frequently, particularly in the fall and the spring.
- Don't forget to check ads under categories such as cultural studies, women's studies, medieval studies, writing and rhetoric, etc., if applicable.
Canadian Association of University Teachers: Academic Work.ca
Association of Canadian College and University Teachers of English Jobs
Association of Canadian Community Colleges
MLA Job Information List
This site requires a password. UWO graduate students and alumni should contact the placement coordinator, Professor Mary Helen McMurran, for our department's password.
Chronicle of Higher Education
Higher Ed Jobs
The Riley Guide
The U.K. and the Commonwealth:
Times Higher Education Supplement
This site requires a subscription for full access, but you do not need a subscription to search job postings.
Campus Review: Australia and New Zealand