Associate Professor of Classics
B.A., M.A., Ph.D. (Toronto)
Office: Lawson Hall 3225
Areas of Interest:
Greek literature and culture, Ancient Greek language, Ancient Greek myth, and Gender in Ancient Greece
- Intergenericity and intertextuality in the ancient Greek literary tradition
- Gender and textuality
- The reception of texts from the Greek literary tradition in Latin literature and in contemporary writing.
Current Teaching (2014-2015):
- CS2200: Classical Mythology - Tu/Th (10:30-11:30am)
- CS3100E: Greek and Roman Drama - Tu (1:30-2:30pm/Th 12:30-2:30pm)
- Greek 9230A: Greek Tragedy Beyond the City W (9:30-12:30pm)
- Supervisor, Lauren Mayes, PhD Candidate, "Gendered Systems of Social Reciprocity in Euripides". In progress.
- Supervisor, Alexandra Dawson, PhD Candidate, "Non-Athenian Scenes of Supplication in the Euripidean Corpus". In progress.
- Supervisor, Jonathan Vickers, PhD Candidate, "Dance and Acrobatics in Greek Culture". In progress.
- Supervisor, Jonathan Vickers, Tumbling in Choral Performance MA thesis, Classics. 2010-11.
- Supervisor, Cassie Mackenzie. Vision and Spectacle in the Novels of Chariton and Heliodorus MA thesis,
- Co-supervisor, Lisa Micheelsen, University of Alberta, The Poetry of Death: an Examination of the Language and Concepts in the Articulation of Death in the Iliad, PhD student in Classics, 2000-02
- Edited (With Jeremy Rossiter) The Seasons: Greek and Roman Perspectives, a special issue of Mouseion (XLVII - Series III, Vol. 3, 2003)
- Introduction (with Jeremy Rossiter) to The Seasons: Greek and Roman Perspectives, a special issue of Mouseion (XLVII - Series III, Vol. 3, 2003) 233-235.
- "The Poet at Colonus: Nightingales in Sophocles, Mnemosyne 54, 2001, 646-658. (Netherlands).
- Silence in Sophocles, in Siegfried Jaekel and Asko Timonen, eds. The Language of Silence. Turku, Finland, 2001. 31-40.
- "An Analytical Onomasticon to the Metamorphoses of Ovid: Online Sampler" with John Bradley, Willard McCarty and Burton Wright. 1999-present. Published version here
"Quanto trepidat tumultu: Horace Odes 3.27". Forthcoming in Quaderni Urbinati di Cultura Classica. 16 pages.
- Konrad Kinzl. A Companion to the Classical Greek World. University of Toronto Quarterly 77:1 (Winter 2007/2008)
- Kevin Corrigan and Elena Glazov-Corrigan. Platos Dialectic at Play: Argument, Structure and Myth in the Symposium. Philosophy in Review 26.6. (Dec. 2006) 399-401.
- Kathryn Morgan: Myth and Philosophy: From the Presocratics to Plato. Phoenix LVII 3-4 (2004) 333-35.
- "Tragic Map-making", the Sixth Bristol Myth Conference, Greek Myths on the Map. Bristol, UK, July 31-Aug 2, 2013. Refereed.
- "Prometheus, Pandora and Io", Writing Europe Before 1450. Bergen, Norway. June 4, 2012. Refereed.
- "Prometheus, Pandora and Io", Annual Meeting of the Classical Association of Canada. London, ON. May 8, 2012. Refereed.
- "From Mnemosyne to the Alphabet", Annual Meeting of the American Philological Association, Philadelphia, PA. January 8, 2012. Refereed.
- "Breaking the Law in Heliodorus' Aethiopika", Annual Meeting of the Classical Association of Canada. May 12, 2011. Halifax, N.S. refereed.
- "The Alphabet and the Muses", Coloquio Internacional Interdisciplinar, Da Letra ao Imaginario. Lisbon, Portugal. May 5. 2011. Refereed.
- "Clytemnestras Odyssey: Agamemnon 896-974", Annual Meeting of the American Philological Association, San Antonio, Texas, Jan. 8, 2011. Refereed
- "Clytemnestra and Penelope in Aeschylus' Agamemnon" Invited Keynote Speaker, Colloquium on Aeschylus Agamemnon. Windsor, November 7, 2009
- "The Mother-Daughter Romance and Heroic Nostos in Heliodorus' Aithiopika" International Conference on the Ancient Novel, Lisbon, July 2008.
- "Heroic Turns and Returns" Keynote address. Repetitions and Returns. Interdisciplinary Graduate Conference, University of Western Ontario. March 6, 2008.
- "Euripides' Medea: Just One Day" Keynote Address, Opening of Euripides' Medea. Trent University Feb. 28, 2007.
- "Alcibiades and the Parody of the Mysteries in Plato's Symposium" May 26, 2006. Classical Association of Canada,Toronto. refereed.
- "Death, Goodness and the Lost Daughter: The Homeric Hymn to Demeter and Carol Shields' Unless", University of Western Ontario Gender and Society Workshop. Feb. 2006.
- "Socrates and Marsyas in Plato's Symposium" May 13 2005, Classical Association of Canada, Banff, Alberta. refereed.
- "Death, Goodness and the Lost Daughter: The Homeric Hymn to Demeter and Carol Shields' Unless", Penelope's Revenge. April 30-May 1, 2004. University of Calgary. Invited.
- "Athenian Democracy as Trickster", Citizenship and Public Space. Annual Meeting of the Canadian Anthropology Society. May 5-9, 2004. University of Western Ontario. Contributed.
- "Love and Death in Sophocles' Trachiniae", Brock University Annual Colloquium, March 8, 2003. Invited.
- "Odysseus, Monsters, Dionysus and Democracy", Wilfrid Laurier University, Oct. 4, 2002. Invited.
- "Odysseus on the Tragic Stage," Department of Languages and Literatures, University of Guelph, 2002. Invited.
- "Polyphemus in Athens," Department of Classical Studies, University of Western Ontario and Department of Classics, Dalhousie University, 2001
- "Melanthius and Melantho, Children of Dolius," Homeric Contexts, University of Toronto and York University, 2000 refereed.
- "Silence in Sophocles," Language and Silence, University of Turku, Finland, 2000. invited.
- "A Wolf Among Lambs: Odysseus in Euripides' Hecuba, Iphigeneia at Aulis, and Trojan Women," Classical Association of Canada, Winnipeg, 2000
- "A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing: Odysseus and Animal Disguise," Appoaches to Antiquity, University of Toronto, 1997
- "Quanto trepidat tumultu: Horace, Odes 3.27," Appoaches to Antiquity, University of Toronto, 1996
- "The Nightingales of Sophocles," Classical Association of Canada, Montreal, 1995
- "Breaking the Law in Heliodorus' Aethiopika" UWO Faculty of Arts and Humanities Research Day, 2013
- "Clytemnestra's Odyssey" UWO Faculty of Arts and Humanities Research Day, 2012
- "Death, Goodness and the Lost Daughter: The Homeric Hymn to Demeter and Carol Shields' Unless", UWO Faculty of Arts and Humanities Research Day, 2006
- "Odysseus in Democratic Athens". UWO Faculty of Arts Research Day, 2005