Assistant Professor of Classics
BA (Stanford), MA (Stanford), PhD (UCLA)
Office: Lawson Hall 3207
Archaic and Classical Greek Literature especially Greek Epic; Greek Religion; Ancient Athletics; Gender and the Body in Greece and Rome; Classics and Critical Theory
- CS2300: Sport and Recreation in the Ancient World W (7:00-9:00pm)
- CS3211F: Ancient Tricksters MWF (1:30-2:30pm)
- Greek 9903A: Greek Political Thought M (2:30-5:30pm)
The Politics of Sacrifice in Early Greek Myth and Poetry. Cambridge University Press. (Forthcoming, February 2017)
The Cultural History of Sport in Antiquity. Co-edited with Paul Christesen, Dartmouth College. Bloomsbury Press. (Under Contract)
Articles and Book Chapters:
“Body, Mind, and Identity in Ancient Athletics.” The Cultural History of Sport in Antiquity. Eds. Paul Christesen and Charles Stocking. Bloomsbury Press. (Under Contract)
“Homer and Athletic Competition.” The Homer Encyclopedia. Eds. Corrine Pache, Susan Lupack, Robert Lamberton, and Casey Dué. Cambridge University Press. (Under Contract).
“Hesiod in Paris: Justice, Truth, and Power between Past and Present.” Arethusa (Forthcoming)
“The Allure and Ethics of Ancient Aesthetics: Hellenism and the Modern Olympics.” Sport: Allure and Ethics. Ed. John Zilcoski. University of Toronto Press. (Forthcoming)
“Hesiod and Theory” with Stephen Scully. Oxford Handbook of Hesiod. Eds. Stephen Scully and Alexander Loney. Oxford University Press. (Forthcoming)
“The Use and Abuse of Training ‘Science’ in Philostratus’ Gymnasticus.” Classical Antiquity 35.1 (2016): 86-165.
“Ages of Athletes: Generational Decline in Philostratus’ Gymnasticus and Archaic Greek Poetry.” Classics@ Issue 13: Greek Poetry and Sport. 2015. Edited by Thomas Scanlon.
“Greek Ideal as Hyperreal: Greco-Roman Sculpture and the Athletic Male Body.” Arion 21.3 (2014): 45-74.
“Sacrifice, Succession, and Paternity in Hesiod’s Theogony.” Mètis. Anthropologie des mondes grecs anciens 11 (2013): 183-210.
“The Language about Achilles: Linguistic Frame Theory and the Formula in Homeric Poetics.”
A Californian Hymn to Homer. Ed. Timothy Pepper. Washington, D.C.: Harvard University Press, 2010.
- "Training the Body Politic: Competing Modes of Hellenism." July 2014. Sport, Society, and Culture. Center for Hellenic Studies and the International Olympic Academy. Olympia, Greece.
- "The Use and Abuse of Training 'Science' in Philostraus' Gymnasticus." July 2014, Sport in the Ancient World, Nikephoros 25 Year Anniversary. Graz, Austria
- Panel Organizer: Written Ritual: Sacrifice in Texts and Contexts. January 2014, American Philological Association. Chicago, Il.
- "Anger and Honorary Shares: The Promethean Division Revisited." January 2014, Written Ritual: Sacrifice in Texts and Contexts. January 2014. American Philological Association. Chicago, Il.
- "The Political Aesthetics of Greek Athletics: Ancient and Modern Perspectives." July 2013, Sport, Society, Culture. Center for Hellenic Studies and the International Olympic Academy. Olympia, Greece.
- "Ages of Athletes: Generational Decline in Philostratus' Gymnasticus" May 2013, Harvard Center for Hellenic Studies Symposium. Washington, DC.
- Greek Ideal or Hyperreal? The Athletic Body Throughout History." March 2012.
- Visualizing Antiquity. Victoria, BC Canada.
- "Anger, Kingship, and the Primordial Politics of Emotion in Ancient Greece." November 2011. Renaissance of the Passions Conference. Los Angeles, CA.
- "Consumption and Cultural Contact in Bronze Age Mycenae." July 2010. Guest Lecture for D.E.P.A.S. Field School. Mycenae, Greece.
- "Myth, Competition, and Community in the Ancient Olympics." July 2010. Guest Lecture for D.E.P.A.S. Field School. Olympia, Greece.
- "Sacrifice, Tricksters, and the Politics of the Belly." March 2010. Guest Lecture. Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX.
- "Return to Sender: Failed Reciprocity in Ancient Greek Religion." March 2010. Classical Association of the Middle West and South, Oklahoma City, OK.
- "Hesiod, Sacrifice, and the Tactics of Consumption." January 2010. American Philological Association Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA.
- "Aesthetic Conflict and Dramatic Resolution: Discursive and Presentational Symbolism within Aristophanes’ Frogs." February 2005. (Ir)Rationality in Antiquity, Victoria, BC Canada.
- "Tupac Shakur: Hip-Hop Hyperculture and the Postmodern Hero." March 2004. SISS Image of the Hero Conference, Colorado Springs, CO.
- "From Muthos to Myth: Narrative Scripts as a Mechanism of Authority in the Homeric Poems and Beyond." March 2003. International Narrative Conference, Berkeley, CA.