Assistant Professor of Classics
BA (Stanford), MA (Stanford), PhD (UCLA)
Office: Lawson Hall 3207
Archaic and Classical Greek Literature especially Greek Epic; Greek Religion; Ancient Athletics; Gender and the Body in Greece and Rome; Classics and Critical Theory
- CS2300: Sport and Recreation in the Ancient World W (7:00-9:00pm)
- CS3211F: Ancient Tricksters MWF (1:30-2:30pm)
- Greek 9903A: Greek Political Thought M (2:30-5:30pm)
- Sacrifice and the Politics of the Belly in Early Greek Poetry (Under Review)
- "Ages of Athletes: Generational Decline in Philostratus' Gymnasticus and Archaic Greek Poetry." Classics@ Special Edition: Greek Poetry and Athletics (Forthcoming)
- "Greek Ideal as Hyperreal: Greco-Roman Sculpture and the Athletic Male Body." Arion 21.3 (2014): 45-74.
- "Sacrifice, Succession, and Paternity in Hesiod's Theogony."Mètis. Anthropologie des mondes grecs anciens. 11 (2013): 183-210.
- "The Language about Achilles: Linguistic Frame Theory and the Formula in Homeric Poetics."A Californian Hymn to Homer. Ed. Timothy Pepper. Washington, D.C.: Harvard University Press, 2010.
- "Training the Body Politic: Competing Modes of Hellenism." July 2014. Sport, Society, and Culture. Center for Hellenic Studies and the International Olympic Academy. Olympia, Greece.
- "The Use and Abuse of Training 'Science' in Philostraus' Gymnasticus." July 2014, Sport in the Ancient World, Nikephoros 25 Year Anniversary. Graz, Austria
- Panel Organizer: Written Ritual: Sacrifice in Texts and Contexts. January 2014, American Philological Association. Chicago, Il.
- "Anger and Honorary Shares: The Promethean Division Revisited." January 2014, Written Ritual: Sacrifice in Texts and Contexts. January 2014. American Philological Association. Chicago, Il.
- "The Political Aesthetics of Greek Athletics: Ancient and Modern Perspectives." July 2013, Sport, Society, Culture. Center for Hellenic Studies and the International Olympic Academy. Olympia, Greece.
- "Ages of Athletes: Generational Decline in Philostratus' Gymnasticus" May 2013, Harvard Center for Hellenic Studies Symposium. Washington, DC.
- Greek Ideal or Hyperreal? The Athletic Body Throughout History." March 2012.
- Visualizing Antiquity. Victoria, BC Canada.
- "Anger, Kingship, and the Primordial Politics of Emotion in Ancient Greece." November 2011. Renaissance of the Passions Conference. Los Angeles, CA.
- "Consumption and Cultural Contact in Bronze Age Mycenae." July 2010. Guest Lecture for D.E.P.A.S. Field School. Mycenae, Greece.
- "Myth, Competition, and Community in the Ancient Olympics." July 2010. Guest Lecture for D.E.P.A.S. Field School. Olympia, Greece.
- "Sacrifice, Tricksters, and the Politics of the Belly." March 2010. Guest Lecture. Texas Tech University, Lubbock, TX.
- "Return to Sender: Failed Reciprocity in Ancient Greek Religion." March 2010. Classical Association of the Middle West and South, Oklahoma City, OK.
- "Hesiod, Sacrifice, and the Tactics of Consumption." January 2010. American Philological Association Annual Meeting, Anaheim, CA.
- "Aesthetic Conflict and Dramatic Resolution: Discursive and Presentational Symbolism within Aristophanes’ Frogs." February 2005. (Ir)Rationality in Antiquity, Victoria, BC Canada.
- "Tupac Shakur: Hip-Hop Hyperculture and the Postmodern Hero." March 2004. SISS Image of the Hero Conference, Colorado Springs, CO.
- "From Muthos to Myth: Narrative Scripts as a Mechanism of Authority in the Homeric Poems and Beyond." March 2003. International Narrative Conference, Berkeley, CA.