BA (UNC, Chapel Hill), MA (UCLA), PhD (UCLA)
Office: Lawson Hall 3223
Greek archaeology with a focus on the Aegean Bronze and Iron Ages; Mediterranean cultural interaction; Near Eastern and Egyptian archaeology; Ancient Greek economics, especially production and trade in oil and wine; ceramic analysis.
Current Teaching (2014-2015)
- CS2908A: Egyptian Art and Architecture
- Critical Commodities: Tracing Greek Trade in Oil and Wine from the Bronze Age to the Archaic Period (dissertation)
- The Mycenaean Pottery at Jaffa, Israel” Classification and analysis of Aegean-style pottery found during excavation of the port city of Jaffa, Israel from the Bronze and Early Iron Age strata (ongoing excavation)
- “The Rise and Fall of the Transport Stirrup Jar in the Bronze Age Aegean.” American Journal of Archaeology (forthcoming January 2016)
- “The SOS Amphora: An Update.” Annual of the British School at Athens (forthcoming 2015)
- “Minor Transnationalism in the Ancient Mediterranean? The Case of Phoenicians on Crete in the Early Iron Age.” Diaspora: A Journal of Transnational Studies (forthcoming)
- “Maritime Transport Containers: Into the Iron Age. The Aegean” with Stella Demesticha. In Maritime Transport Containers and Mediterranean Connectivity: A Long-Term Perspective, by A. Bernard Knapp and Stella Demesticha. (under review)
- “Commerce (Business and Trade).” In A Cultural History of Alcohol, Max Nelson, editor. London: Bloomsbury Press. Other contributors to the volume: Fritz Graf, Giulia Sissa, Jean-Pierre Brun, Laurence Villard, and Tyler Jo Smith. ( forthcoming)
- “Mycenaean Ceramics” in Kaplan Excavations in Jaffa I (1955-1969). The Bronze and Iron Ages. Aaron A. Burke and Martin Peilstocker, editors. The Jaffa Cultural Heritage Project Series. Monumenta Archaeologica, The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, Los Angeles (forthcoming)
- “Rivers and Canals: Hydrological Analysis of the Tarapaca Valley and Pampa de Tamarugal” with Dr. Ran Boytner in Extreme: Cultural Evolution and Adaptation in the Hyper-arid Tarapaca Valley, Northern Chile 2011-2012 (under review)
Conferences and Presentations:
- “Missing Links in Transport Vessel Technology from the Late Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age” November 8th, 2012. University of Western Ontario. London, Canada.
- “Pottery and Trade in the Late Bronze Age: Minoans, Mycenaeans, Cypriots and the Levant” August 2012. Jaffa Cultural Heritage Project Fieldschool. Tel Aviv, Israel.
- “Objects and Agents: Transnational Interaction Between Cretans and Phoenicians in the Early Iron Age” January, 2012. Archaeological Institute of America Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- “Cretan and Phoenician interaction in the Early Iron Age: a new approach” April, 2011. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, UCLA “Wednesday Seminar Series.”