Assistant Professor of Classics
BA (Southern California), MA (Pennsylvania), PhD (Santa Barbara)
Office: Lawson Hall 3211
Roman literature, especially Augustan and early imperial poetry; literary theory; classical reception.
- CS2301A: Crime and Punishment in the Ancient World - MW (11:30-12:30pm)
- CS2301B: Crime and Punishment in the Ancient World - MW (11:30-12:30pm)
- CS3151F: The Age of Augustus (MWF (1:30-2:30pm)
- Classics 9000: Core Course – Latin Literature - W (2:30-5:30pm)
- LA9902B: The Age of Nero F (1:30-4:30pm)
- Virgil and Joyce: Nationalism and Imperialism in the Aeneid and Ulysses. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press (forthcoming).
- "Centers and Peripheries," in A Companion to the Flavian Age of Imperial Rome. ed. Andrew Zissos. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell (forthcoming).
- "Colonization," "James Joyce," and "Orientalism," in The Virgil Encyclopedia. eds. Richard Thomas and Jan Ziolkowski. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2013.
- "Orbis Romanus: Lucan and the Limits of the Roman World," Transactions of the American Philological Association 141.1 (2011) 143-170.
- "The 'Reassurance of Fratricide' in the Aeneid," American Journal of Philology 130.2 (2009) 261-289. (Winner of the Gildersleeve Prize for the best paper of the year in AJP)
- "Ghosts of Optimism: Virgil's Parade of Heroes in Joyce's "Circe," International Journal of the Classical Tradition 16.3/4 (2009) 443-466.