Debra L. Nousek
Associate Professor and Graduate Chair of Classics
BA (Alberta), MA (Santa Barbara), PhD (Rutgers)
Office: Lawson Hall, Room 3206
Areas of Interest:
Roman republican history; Greek and Latin historiography; Greek oratory, and numismatics
- CS3904G: The Life and Legacy of Julius Caesar MWF (2:30-3:30pm)
- Latin 9902B: Caesar F (9:30-12:30pm)
- "The Commentarii," in the Cambridge Companion to Caesar, edited by Christopher Krebs and Luca Grillo, Cambridge University Press (under contract)
- On Writing Caesar: The Historical Monograph in the Late Republic, a book length study of Caesarian prose and the writing of history.
- "The Literary Caesar," Appendix to the Landmark Caesar's Gallic Wars, ed. R. Strassler (under contract).
- Preparation of an article on the representation of Hypereides' oratory in the treatise On the Sublime.
- Preparation of an article on the significance of wordplay in Caesarian prose.
- A Caesar Workbook, co-authored with Rose Williams. Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers. (ISBN978-0-86516-753-7)
- Ciceronian Echoes in Livys Bacchanalian Narrative, Classical Quarterly, 60.1, 156166.
- "Turning Points in Roman History: the Case of Caesar's Elephant Denarius, Phoenix, vol. 62 (2008), 290-307.
- Taming Caesar, (workshop with Rose Williams [see Rose's website for her contribution to this workshop]) Annual Institute of the American Classical League, UNLV, June 2012. (Download .pdf version)
- Conquering and Creating Gaul: Caesars Use of Geography, Annual Institute of the American Classical League, Minneapolis, MN, June 2011
- "The Bellum Gallicum and the Development of the Historical Monograph in the Late Republic," invited panellist, CAMWS 2009 Annual Meeting, Minneapolis, MN, April 4, 2009.
- Echoes of Cicero in Livy's Bacchanalian Narrative (39.8-19)," American Philological Association annual meeting, Chicago, IL, January 4, 2008.
- Silence and Omission in Caesars Bellum Gallicum, annual meeting of the Classical Association of Canada, St. Johns, Newfoundland, May 23, 2007.
- Turning Points in Roman History: the Case of Caesar's Elephant Denarius," invited speaker for the UWO Classics Colloquium , September 30, 2006. Coinage and Currency in the Ancient World
- "Revitalizing Cornelius Nepos: the Influence of the Vita Attici," Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, Toronto, May 24, 2006.
- "An Unnoticed Pun in Caesar's Bellum Gallicum," Classical Association of Canada annual meeting, Banff, AB, May 14, 2005.
- "Bridging Genres in Caesars Commentarii," American Philological Association annual meeting, San Francisco, CA, January 4, 2004.
- "Jumping Through Hypsos: Assessing Hypereides in Longinus' On the Sublime, American Philological Association annual meeting, New Orleans, LA, January 5, 2003.
- "C. Iulius Caesar Audax: the Elephant Denarius and the Rhetoric of Civil War," Third Annual Societas Colloquium, sponsored by the University of Oklahoma, Cumae, Italy, May 2002.
- "Reading the Body Politic: the Character of the Plebs in Livy I," Classical Association of the Atlantic States, Spring 2001.