BA University of North Carolina—Chapel Hill,
MA University of California—Los Angeles,
C.Phil University of California—Los Angeles
Department of Classical Studies
Lawson Hall, Room 3223
The University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario Canada N6A 5B8
(519) 661-2111 ext. 84528
Greek archaeology with a focus on the Aegean Bronze and Iron Ages; Mediterranean cultural interaction; Near Eastern and Egyptian archaeology; Ancient Greek economics, especially production and trade in oil and wine; ceramic analysis.
Current Teaching (2013-2014):
- Critical Commodities: Tracing Greek Trade in Oil and Wine from the Bronze Age to the Archaic Period (dissertation)
- The Mycenaean Pottery at Jaffa, Israel” Classification and analysis of Aegean-style pottery found during excavation of the port city of Jaffa, Israel from the Bronze and Early Iron Age strata (ongoing excavation).
- “Tracing Technological Change: the Transition from Transport Stirrup Jar to Amphora in the Late Bronze Age.” Hesperia. The Journal of the American School of Classical Studies at Athens (submitted).
- “Minor Transnationalism in the Ancient Mediterranean? The Case of Phoenicians on Crete in the Early Iron Age.” Diaspora: A Journal of Transnational Studies (forthcoming).
- “Mycenaean Ceramics” in Kaplan Excavations in Jaffa I (1955-1969). The Bronze and Iron Ages. Aaron A. Burke and Martin Peilstocker, editors. The Jaffa Cultural Heritage Project Series. Monumenta Archaeologica, The Cotsen Institute of Archaeology Press, Los Angeles. (forthcoming 2013)
- “Rivers and Canals: Hydrological Analysis of the Tarapaca Valley and Pampa de Tamarugal” with Dr. Ran Boytner in Extreme: Cultural Evolution and Adaptation in the Hyper-arid Tarapaca Valley, Northern Chile 2011-2012 (under review).
Conferences and Presentations:
- “Missing Links in Transport Vessel Technology from the Late Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age” November 8th, 2012. University of Western Ontario. London, Canada.
- “Pottery and Trade in the Late Bronze Age: Minoans, Mycenaeans, Cypriots and the Levant” August 2012. Jaffa Cultural Heritage Project Fieldschool. Tel Aviv, Israel.
- “Objects and Agents: Transnational Interaction Between Cretans and Phoenicians in the Early Iron Age” January, 2012. Archaeological Institute of America Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA.
- “Cretan and Phoenician interaction in the Early Iron Age: a new approach” April, 2011. Cotsen Institute of Archaeology, UCLA “Wednesday Seminar Series.”