Assistant Professor of Classics
B.A. (Southern California), M.A. (Pennsylvania), Ph.D. (Santa Barbara)
Department of Classical Studies
Lawson Hall, Room 3211
The University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario Canada N6A 5B8
(519) 661-2111 ext. 84526
Roman literature, especially Augustan and early imperial poetry; literary theory; classical reception. Publications include articles on Lucan, Virgil, and James Joyce.
Current Teaching (2013-2014)
- Selected Recent Publications:
- "Orbis Romanus: Lucan and the Limits of the Roman World," Transactions of the American Philological Association 141.1 (2011) 143-170.
- "The 'Reassurance of Fratricide' in the Aeneid," American Journal of Philology 130.2 (2009) 261-289. (Winner of the Gildersleeve Prize for the best paper of the year in AJP)
- "Ghosts of Optimism: Virgil's Parade of Heroes in Joyce's "Circe," International Journal of the Classical Tradition 16.3/4 (2009) 443-466.
- “Flavian Centers and Peripheries,” in The Blackwell Companion to the Flavian Age. ed. Andrew Zissos. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell (forthcoming).
- “Colonization,” “James Joyce,” and “Orientalism,” in The Virgil Encyclopedia. eds. Richard Thomas and Jan Ziolkowski. Malden, MA: Wiley-Blackwell (in press).