Elizabeth M. Greene
Assistant Professor of Classics
B.A.(Boston University), M.A.(Tufts), Ph.D. (North Carolina)
Department of Classical Studies
Lawson Hall, Room 3209
The University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario Canada N6A 5B8
(519) 661-2111 ext. 84571
Vindolanda Field School
Roman archaeology and social history, western Roman provinces, Romanization and imperialism, Roman military, women and gender in antiquity, Latin epigraphy
- Current Teaching (2013-2014)
- CS2500A- Ancient Cities in the Mediterranean Tu/Th (1:30-2:30)
- CS4580F - Vindolanda Field School - Summer
Classics 9552A/4550F: Roman Britain Th (3:30-5:30)
- Selected Recent Publications:
- Sulpicia Lepidina and Elizabeth Custer: A Cross-cultural Analogy for the Social Roles of Women on a Military Frontier, in
M. Duggan and D. Rohl (eds.), Theoretical Roman Archaeology Conference 2011, Oxbow (2012) 105-14.
- Leather artefacts in the Hadrian's Wall region, in M.F.A Symonds and D.J.P Mason (eds.), Frontiers of Knowledge: A Research
Framework for Hadrian's Wall, English Heritage, Durham County Council and Durham University (2009) 136-8.
- Social Commentary in the Metamorphoses: Apuleius Play with Satire, in W. Riess (ed.), Ancient Narrative 11. Paideia at Play.
Learning and Wit in Apuleius, Barkhuis Publishing (2008) 175-93.
- The Intaglios and Finger Rings, in A. Birley and J. Blake, The Excavations of 2005-2006 at Vindolanda, Roman Army Museum
Publications (2007) 50-6.
- The Roman Jewellery from Vindolanda. Research Report New Series, Volume IV, Fascicule V: The Beads, Intaglios, Finger Rings,
Earrings & Bracelets, Roman Army Museum Publications (2006) (co-authored with B. Birley)
- Before Hadrians Wall: Early military communities at Vindolanda and on the Roman frontier in Britain, in R. Collins and
M.F.A. Symonds (eds.), Breaking Down Boundaries: Hadrians Wall in the 21st Century, Journal of Roman Archaeology (in press, 2012).
- Female Networks in the Military Communities of the Roman West in E. Himelrijk and G. Woolf (eds.),
Gender and the City: Women and civic life in Italy and the western provinces (Brill) (In press, 2013).
- The Families of Roman Auxiliary Soldiers in Military Diplomas, in P.Bidwell (ed.), Proceedings of the XXIst International Limes
Congress 2009, Archaeopress, (in press, 2013).