Assistant Professor of Classics
AB (Harvard), M.St., DPhil (Oxford)
Department of Classical Studies
Lawson Hall, Room 3224
The University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario Canada N6A 5B8
661-2111 ext. 84522
Virgil and Homer, The Ancient Novel, Greek & Roman Elegy, Metrics.
Virgil and Homer, The Ancient Novel, Greek and Roman Elegy, Metrics
- CS2800A- Greek and Latin Elements MW (12:30-1:30 pm)
- CS2800B- Greek and Latin Elements MW (12:30-1:30 pm)
- CS3150G - Latin Epic MWF (10:30 am-11:30 am)
- LA1000-003: Introductory Latin MWF (2:30 - 3:30)
- Greek poetry, drama, and religion; Roman poetry
- "A Harpy in the Iliad" submitted to The Classical Quarterly.
- "The Hymns of Callimachus in Aeneid 3".
- "Hunter S. Thompson and Petronius".
- Translations of the correspondence (c. 1570) of G.B. Campeggi, Bishop of Mallorca
(in collaboration with Professor N. Aksamija, Colgate University)
- Selected Recent Publications:
- 2007“A review of Horsfall, Aeneid 7, 11, and 3,” Journal of Roman Studies 96 (forthcoming).
- 2002 “Vergilium vestigare: Aeneid 12.587-88”. The Classical Quarterly 52.2.
- “Classicism and Form in Wallace Stevens and Richard Wilbur,” Colgate Humanities Colloquium, April 2006.
- “Virgil and the Nightingale,” Colgate Humanities Colloquium, April 2005.
- “The Meters of Sophocles Trachiniae,” Colgate Classics Department, February 2005.
- “Mens sana in corpore sano,” Keynote address, Virginia governor’s Latin Academy, June 2004.
- “Virgil’s Unclear Delos,” APA Conference, San Francisco, January 2004.
- “Juan Luis de la Cerda on Virgil,” Corpus Christi College Graduate Seminar, May 2003.
- “The Epigrams of Theocritus,” Matgdalen College Graduate Seminar, May 2003.
- “Macrobiology: Saturnalia and the Birth of Virgilian Omniscience,” CCCGS, June 2002.
- “Classics and Classical Music in the Poetry of James Merrill,” Magdalen College Classics and English Forum (respondents: Oliver Taplin and Stephen Harrison), May 2002.
- “Ten Great Etymologies,” Lord Florey Society, Lincoln College, November 2001.
- “The Tale of the Tub: Apuleius Metamorphoses 9.5-7,” CCCGS, September 2000.
- “Aspects of the Structure of Ovid Metamorphoses 6,” CCCGS, December 1999.
- "The End of the Aeneid." Corpus Christi Latin Seminar, December 1999.