Paul J. Ragogna
Office: Rm 2022 BGS,
Labs: 2004 & 2006 BGS,
Phone (Office): ext 87048
Phone (Lab): ext 81474
Synthetic Main Group and Organometallic Chemistry
Traditional Research Division:
Ph.D. (Dalhousie); NSERC PDF (Toronto)
- John Charles Polanyi Prize
Our research group has a central theme, which can broadly be defined as synthesizing fundamentally interesting new molecules containing main group or transition metal elements. We target the identification of new structure, bonding and reactivity, which will allow us to gain a better understanding of the periodic table. The ultimate goal is to utilize our observations in practical applications.
We have three concurrent research areas that can be categorized into the following:
- Highly charged group 16 element centres
- Developing late metal metallopolymers
- New phosphonium ionic liquids
This means our areas of interest focuses on several groups in the periodic table: (a) Group 16, noteably S, Se and Te; (b) Group 9 and 10, specifically Co and Ni; and, (c) group 15, with a specific focus on P.
- 1050 - Discovering Chemistry
- 1100a - Discovering Chemistry I
- 1200b - Discovering Chemistry II
- 1301a - Discovering Chemical Structure
- 2271a - Structure and Bonding in Inorganic Chemistry
- 2281g - Inorganic Chemistry of the Main Group Elements
- 3371f - Transition Metal Chemistry
- 4491e - Research Project
- 9658y - Topics Seminar
- 9721b - Advanced Main Group Chemistry
- C. D. Martin, P.J. Ragogna* “Reactions of alpha-diimine ligands with the in situ generated “S(OTf)2 synthon” Inorg. Chem. (Accepted March 2010).
- J. J. Tindale, K. Hartlen, A. Alizadeh, M. S. Workentin and P. J. Ragogna*, “Maleimide-Modified Phosphonium Ionic Liquids: A Template Towards (Multi) Task-Specific Ionic Liquids” Chem. Eur. J., 2010 (Accepted March 2010)
- J. L. Dutton, T. L. Battista, M. J. Sgro, and P. J. Ragogna* “Diazabutadiene complexes of selenium as Se2+ transfer reagents” Chem. Commun. 2010, 46, 1041 -1043 (Communication).
- Caleb D. Martin, Christine M. Le, P. J. Ragogna “Remarkably Stable Chalcogen(II) Dications” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2009, 131, 15126 - 15127 (Communication).
- J. L. Dutton, H. M. Tuononen, P. J. Ragogna* “Tellurium(II) Centered Dications from the Novel Pseudohalide Te(OTf)2”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed., 2009, 4409-4413 (Communication).