New Students - Administrative Responsibilities

1. Fulfill Conditions of Offer of Admission

Please go to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (SGPS) to submit your FINAL transcript/s. Internationals students must show proof of a valid study permit before continuing with the steps below. A copy of the study permit should also be provided to the program.

Support Services Building, Room 4180


2. Western ONECard

The Western ONECard functions as an identification card for your identity at Western. It is also a library card, meal plan card, and can be used for door access and vending machine purchases.

You may obtain your Western ONECard in the Student Central Office. Please have your Western ID number and one piece of photo identification such as:

  • Driver's license
  • Citizenship card
  • Passport
  • Other government issued photo ID

For further details, including important conditions surround use and ownership, please visit Western ONECard.

3. E-Mail Account

Most students have done this before they arrive.

The University provides an e-mail account to all faculty, staff and students, to be used in conjunction with their duties or activities at the University.

In order to activate your account you will need to go to the ITS Acceptable Use Policy page. You will need to know your Personal Computer Account Login name and password. If you do not know your login name and password, please contact the Computer Accounts Office and provide your Western ID number to identify yourself. Your account will normally be activated within 2 hours.

4. Human Resources-Personnel and Pay

If you are a new employee/graduate student, please read Welcome to Western carefully, then login to My Human Resources to check your address and enter direct banking information that will ensure your pay reaches you.

5. Required Training-Human Resources

  • Western's Health and Safety Orientation
  • Comprehensive WHMIS
  • Safe Campus Community
  • Accessibility in Service/Teaching

6. Social Insurance Number (International Students)

Since you will be working as a Graduate Teaching Assistant, you will require a social insurance number. Once the GRaduate Program Coordinator receives the copy of your valid study permit a letter will be given to you which you will take to the address below to receive your social insurance number.

London Service Canada Centre
457 Richmond St. (corner of Richmond St. & Queens Avenue)
1-800-206-7218 or 519-645-5944

7. Keys

Keys to an office, laboratory, and relevant buildings are obtained from the Keys Office located in Room 2380 of the Support Services Building. Before you can obtain access to labs, you must complete the required training above. Building access will be set up by the Graduate Coordinator once your are registered in the department. Electronic access to other areas in the building must be requested in an email from the supervisor to the Graduate Program Coordinator.

8. Parking

Parking on the Western campus is limited and permits must be purchased by all academic staff, staff and students wishing to park vehicles on campus. Parking permits are transponders that activate electronic gates. This transponder can be obtained from Western Parking & Visitor Services. To obtain your permit, you will need to provide Parking Services with the make/type of vehicle and License plate number as well as your Western ID number.

Contact Us

Darlene McDonald
Graduate Coordinator

Department of Chemistry
Western University
Chemistry Building
1151 Richmond Street
London, Ontario, Canada N6A 5B7

P (519) 661-2166
F (519) 661-3022

Office Hours
Monday-Friday 8:00-3:30

Fields of Research

Chemical Biology

Synthesis and Catalysis

Energy and Mechanism


Connect with Western

You TubeFlickrTwitter
Social Media

Also of interest:

Western provides the best student experience among Canada's leading research-intensive universities.