Western University BiologyWestern Science

How to Apply

Application Deadlines

Canadian Applicants:

  • November 1st, 2013 for January 2014 admission
  • March 1st, 2014 for May 2014 admission
  • June 15th, 2014 for September 2014 admission

International Applicants

  • June 15th, 2013 for January 2014 admission
  • November 15th, 2013 for May 2014 admission
  • March 15th, 2014 for September 2014 admission

Finding a Supervisor

As a graduate student, probably the most important professional relationship you will have is with your supervisor. Thus, although applications are processed centrally and individual faculty members do not admit students directly, applicants must identify one or more potential supervisors, and are only accepted into the program with supervisor support. You are strongly encouraged to contact individual faculty members with whom you are interested in working to discuss research interests and graduate opportunities before applying. Faculty research interests are available here. A full listing of faculty, including adjunct and cross-appointed faculty, is available here. Some Biology faculty also supervise students in the Collaborative Programs in Environment and Sustainability and Developmental Biology.

Application Procedure

Once the application is submitted and the payment cleared, the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will forward your application for consideration by the department.

The online application will collect the following information:

Additional application requirements to be sent directly to the program:

  • CV (listing past work experience, publications, awards/scholarships, certificates, etc).
  • Publications (if applicable)
  • Photocopy of post-secondary Diploma(s)
  • Landing papers (if applicable) For permanent residents of Canada only, please include a photocopy of both sides of your Permanent Resident Card or a photocopy of your Record of Landing. If you are applying to be a permanent resident, but have not been granted landed-immigrant status, you must apply as an international applicant.


To support your application, you must forward one official academic transcript* from each post-secondary institution attended. These documents should be mailed directly to the programs at Western to which you are applying.

  • Past or current Western students do not need to provide transcripts for their academic history at Western. This information will be obtained internally.
  • If you have attended or are currently enrolled at any Ontario university or college other than Western you may use the electronic application process in order to request transcripts. These transcripts will be delivered electronically to each of the programs to which you are applying.
  • All other transcripts must be forwarded in hard copy to the graduate program(s) you are applying to at Western to complete your application.

*Western considers a transcript official only if it is received in a university envelope that is sealed and signed on the flap by the official person in the office issuing the transcript. If the transcript and degree certificate are not in English, a certified translation must also be included. (Non-English transcripts from institutions within Canada do not require a translation.)

All documents and transcripts submitted to Western University become the property of the university and will not be returned.

Electronic Reference System

Upon receiving an application, our electronic Reference System will send reference form information directly to your referees. The reference will be collected electronically and distributed alongside the application once it arrives at Western. No paper reference letters are required.

Access to the reference system can be found online. You will require your Login ID and Access Key as provided to you in an email titled "Your Application to Graduate Studies; Important Information," which should arrive 2-3 days after you have submitted your application. Accessing the Reference System will allow you to makes changes and updates with regards to your referees.


Students who have voluntarily withdrawn or who have been withdrawn and wish to complete their program must formally re-apply for admission via our application. Credit for previous work completed must be approved by the program and SGPS.