Dr. Beth MacDougall-Shackleton
Behavioural ecology and population genetics of songbirds
For pdfs, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
30. Schmidt KL, SD Moore, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & SA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2013. Early-life stress affects song complexity, song learning, and the volume of RA in adult male song sparrows. Animal Behaviour, in press.
29. Schmidt KL, ES McCallum, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & SA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2013. Early-life stress affects the behavioural and neural response of female song sparrows to conspecific song. Animal Behaviour, in press.
28. Schmidt KL, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & SA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2012. Developmental stress has sex-specific effects on nestling growth and adult metabolic rates but no effect on adult body size or body composition in song sparrows. Journal of Experimental Biology 215: 3207-3217.
27. Schmidt KL, AA Furlonger , JM Lapierre , EA MacDougall-Shackleton & SA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2012. Regulation of the HPA axis is related to song complexity and measures of phenotypic quality in song sparrows. Hormones and Behavior 61: 652-659.
26. Lapierre JM, DJ Mennill & EA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2011. Spatial and age-related variation in advertisement of shared song elements by song sparrows: old males sing the hits. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 65: 2149-2160. (Featured on CBC Radio Quirks & Quarks September 10, 2011)
25. MacDougall-Shackleton EA, M Clinchy, L Zanette & BD Neff. 2011. Songbird genetic diversity is lower in anthropogenically vs naturally fragmented landscapes. Conservation Genetics 65: 2149-2160.
24. An YS, B Kriengwatana , AE Newman, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & SA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2011. Social rank, neophobia and observational learning in black-capped chickadees. Behaviour 148: 55-69.
23. Potvin DA & EA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2010. Paternal song complexity predicts offspring sex ratios close to fledging, but not hatching, in song sparrows. Wilson Journal of Ornithology 122: 146-152.
22. Potvin DA & EA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2009. Parental investment amplifies effects of genetic complementarity on growth rates in song sparrows (Melospiza melodia). Animal Behaviour 78: 943-948.
21. MacDougall-Shackleton SA, L Dindia, AE Newman, DA Potvin, KA Stewart & EA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2009. Stress, song and survival in sparrows. Biology Letters 5: 746-748.
20. MacDougall-Shackleton EA, KA Stewart, DA Potvin & E Tennenhouse. 2009. The rich get richer: song complexity predicts song element sharing and song output in song sparrows Melospiza melodia. Animal Behaviour 78: 141-146.
19. Hernandez AM, JA Pfaff, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & SA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2009. The development of geographic song preferences in female song sparrows Melospiza melodia. Ethology 115: 513-521.
18. Stewart KA & EA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2008. Local song elements indicate local genotypes and predict physiological condition in song sparrows Melospiza melodia. Biology Letters 4: 240-242.
17. Pfaff JA, L Zanette, SA MacDougall-Shackleton & EA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2007. Song repertoire size varies with HVC volume and is indicative of male quality in song sparrows (Melospiza melodia). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 274: 2035-2040.
16. LeBlanc MM, CT Goode, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & DL Maney. 2007. Estradiol modulates catecholaminergic cell groups and projections to the auditory forebrain in a female songbird. Brain Research 1171: 93-103.
15. MacDougall-Shackleton EA, EP Derryberry, J Foufopoulos, AP Dobson & TP Hahn. 2005. Parasite-mediated heterozygote advantage in an outbred songbird population. Biology Letters 1: 105-107.
14. Zanette L, EA MacDougall-Shackleton, M Clinchy & JNM Smith. 2005. Brown-headed cowbirds skew host offspring sex ratios. Ecology 86: 815-820. (Featured in Science)
13. Karpouzos H, AM Hernandez, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & SA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2005. Effects of day-length and food availability on food caching, mass and fat reserves in black-capped chickadees (Poecile atricapillus). Physiology & Behavior 84: 465-469.
12. Morton ML, ME Pereyra, JD Crandall, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & TP Hahn. 2004. Reproductive effort and return rates in the Mountain White-crowned Sparrow. Condor 106: 131-138.
11. MacDougall-Shackleton EA, L Blanchard, SA Igdoura & HL Gibbs. 2003. Melanistic plumage patterns in Old World leaf warblers do not correspond to sequence variation at the melanocortin-1 receptor (MC1R) locus. Molecular Biology and Evolution 20: 1675-1681.
10. Maney DL, EA MacDougall-Shackleton, SA MacDougall-Shackleton, GF Ball & TP Hahn. 2003. Immediate early gene response to hearing song correlates with receptive behavior and depends on dialect in female mountain white-crowned sparrows. Journal of Comparative Physiology A 189: 667-674.
9. MacDougall-Shackleton EA, EP Derryberry & TP Hahn. 2002. Non-local male mountain white-crowned sparrows have lower paternity and higher parasite loads than males singing local dialect. Behavioral Ecology 13: 682-689.
8. MacDougall-Shackleton EA & SA MacDougall-Shackleton. 2001. Cultural and genetic evolution in mountain white-crowned sparrows: song dialects are associated with population structure. Evolution 55: 2568-2575.
7. MacDougall-Shackleton SA, EA MacDougall-Shackleton & TP Hahn. 2001. Physiological and behavioural responses of female mountain white-crowned sparrows to natal- and foreign-dialect songs. Canadian Journal of Zoology 79: 325-333.
6. MacDougall-Shackleton EA & RJ Robertson. 1998. Confidence of paternity and paternal care by eastern bluebirds. Behavioral Ecology 9: 201-205.
5. MacDougall-Shackleton EA & HE Harbison. 1998. Singing behavior of lekking green hermits. Condor 100: 149-152.
4. Soisson SM, B MacDougall-Shackleton, RF Schleif & CM Wolberger. 1997. The 1.6 Å crystal structure of the AraC sugar-binding and dimerization domain complexed with D-fucose. Journal of Molecular Biology 273: 226-237.
3. Soisson SM, B MacDougall-Shackleton, RF Schleif & CM Wolberger. 1997. Structural basis for ligand-regulated oligomerization of AraC. Science 276: 421-425.
2. MacDougall-Shackleton EA, RJ Robertson & PT Boag. 1996. Temporary male removal increases extra-pair paternity in eastern bluebirds. Animal Behaviour 52: 1177-1183.
1. MacDougall-Shackleton EA & RJ Robertson. 1995. Mate guarding tactics used by great-crested flycatchers. Wilson Bulletin 197: 757-761.
This page was last updated on
March 5, 2013
Biology Web Contact: email@example.com