Dr. Hanís laboratory is focused on studying the molecular and cellular mechanisms of normal fetal and placental growth
with the aim of understanding the pathobiological mechanisms of fetal growth restriction and preeclampsia. His
laboratory utilizes (1) transgenic and gene targeting technologies to delineate the paracrine/endocrine role of IGF
system in mice, (2) models of manipulating nutritional and substrate supplies to the fetus in pregnant animals to
study gene-environmental interactions in fetal and placental development and developmental programming, and (3)
genomic and proteomic technologies to determine the molecular mechanisms of fetal growth restriction and preeclampsia
in biological materials (plasma, amniotic fluid and placentae) from human subjects. The ultimate aim of Dr. Hanís
research is to develop new diagnostic tools and interventions to improve the short- and long-term outcomes of women
who develop preeclampsia during pregnancies, and growth restricted (low birth weight) newborns.
• Iosef C, Vilk G, Li S S-C, Gkourasas T, Lee K, Chen BJ, Lajoie G, Ping F, Bach L, Han VKM. (2010). Intracellular interaction of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-6 with nuclear factor IV (Ku80): A novel mechanism of action of a growth inhibitory protein in regulating cell fate. J Cell Signaling (in press)
• Abu Shehab M, Inoue S, Han VKM, Gupta MB. (2009) Site-specific phosphorylation of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 (IGFBP-1) for evaluating clinical relevancy in fetal growth restriction. J Proteome Res 8(11):5325-5335.
• Seferovic MD, Ali R, Kamei H, Liu S, Khosravi JM, Nazarian S, Han VKM, Duan C, Gupta MB. (2009) Hypoxia and leucine deprivation induce human IGFBP-1 hyper-phosphorylation and increase its biological activity. Endocrinology 150(1):220-231.
• Iosef C, Gkourasas T, Jia CYH, Li SC, Han VKM. (2008) A functional nuclear localization signal in insulin-like growth factor binding protein-6 mediates its nuclear import in rhabdomyosarcoma cells. Endocrinology 149(3):1214-1226.
• Gupta MB, Seferovic MD, Liu S, Gratton RJ, Doherty-Kirby A, Lajoie GA, Han VKM. (2007). Altered Proteome profiles in maternal plasma in pregnancies with fetal growth restriction: Differential haptoglobin a2 isoforms as a potential biomarker. Clinical Proteomics 2(3-4):169-184.
• Watson, C.S., Bialek, P., Anzo, M., Khosravi, J., Yee, S.P. and Han, V.K.M. (2006). Increased circulating IGFBP-1 in the fetus is sufficient for a growth restricted phenotype. Endocrinology 147(3): 1175-86.
• Carter, A.M., Nygard, K., Mazzuca, D.M. and Han, V.K.M. (2006). The expression of insulin-like growth factor (IGF) and IGF binding protein (IGFBP) mRNAs in mouse placenta. Placenta 27(3): 278-290.